This short film is a great discussion starter that asks students to think about the advancement of technology and the problems it could create with privacy and personal information. It uses science fiction and the future to help students think critically about where technological advances are headed.
Pre-Discussion (Before the video):
- Do you give away a lot of personal information when using social media? For example, do you give your age, hometown, job, college, etc.?
- What is more important to you, security or privacy? If you had to choose one, what would you choose?
- Are you worried that our privacy is in danger from sites that collect our information?
Now watch the video: (WARNING, there is a four letter curse word (sh*t) in the video, so showing to young kids may not be preferred).
- Why did the man want to date the girl?
- What was his job?
- Why did the girl stop at the end of the video?”?
- Would you use this technology?
- Would you be okay if your date used this technology?
- What’s a benefit of”Sight?”
- What’s a disadvantage (negative thing) about “Sight?”